Friday, October 16, 2015

Farewell dinner


It was a little to cold to sit outside on the petit balcon this week, but late this afternoon as the sun streamed in the glass doors, I made myself a little snack and an Aperol spritz and sat at my bistro set in the warm sunlit spot enjoying my little corner for the last time in 2015.

I feel lucky to have been here three times this year. Enjoying the quiet, the peace, feeling nourished by the fresh air, the open skies, the blinding sun as it sinks low behind my castle. The familiar always feels good, like a favorite sweater, but new discoveries are welcome too.

I met my neighbors Stuart and Neil today. Londoners who bought the large house diagonally across the corner, Stuart was out front sweeping his stoop and I introduced myself. We chatted a bit and I told him I was a gardener and heard he had a lovely courtyard out back. Well this led to an invitation for a quick tour. To say I was floored is a major understatement. Not only do they have a stunning courtyard, about the size of my first floor, they have turned their first floor rooms into timeless, elegant spaces. Looking around at the choices: the art, the lighting, the antiques, there was no question that at least one of them was an interior designer.  

The courtyard reminded me of the Spanish houses we'd seen in Granada, influenced by Moorish themes--it even had a pool!  Then I remembered they owned a house in Marakkesh. Sue told me of it as she is also their housekeeper. I asked about it and we had a long talk about the magical country of Morocco. Stuart said he rents his place and it comes with a cook and housekeeper. There's even a direct flight to Marakkesh from Bordeaux.  I was never interested in traveling there before, but who knows, each new connection can lead down an interesting path . . .

My neighbor Stefan was delighted to find me at home yesterday. We chatted for awhile to catch up on neighborhood gossip then said au revoir. He told me to send "peace and love from France" to Joe. Later, he knocked on my door to give me a gift: a box of his favorite insense, which, he says smells like honey and curry. I told him I would bring it home and try it there. He beamed.

I cleaned up my potted plants, removing all the dead leaves and letting anything green and vigorous stay a little longer. I pulled up the cherry tomato and ate the only two ripe ones off the vine.

The suitcase is packed. The house is clean and ready for Mandy and Michael, who arrive tomorrow and stay for six weeks. I'm a little jealous as I haven't been able to put together my own six weeks here yet, but they are a lovely couple and I feel I am leaving the cottage in good hands. We have an invitation to visit them at their new place when we return in the spring. 

So that's it. Au revoir from Duras. 






1 comment:

  1. Your au revoir could lead to my bonjour. I ve long been fascinated by the mysteriousness of Morocco. I'd love to have the contact info. Nel frattempo, enjoy your ride home and The Paradise... Loved it!!

    ReplyDelete