Thursday, October 16, 2014

A kitchen project from a sleepless night

I could not get to sleep last night. No matter what position I put myself into or how many times I fluffed and rearranged the pillows, sleep was just not happening for me. So what did I do instead? I mentally pictured my cottage kitchen and all the improvements I've made to date. After envisioning each corner, I made some decisions about what my next steps will be to further the theme I've started, which for lack of a better term, I refer to as the "Vintage Vibe."


Here's a pic of my top cabinets, which I finished in June. Below in the sink area is where I want to go next. I ran through my original idea of painting the lower cabinets the same antique white as the uppers, but decided that didn't have the level of oomph I needed there. After my new butcher block countertop is in place on the island, I will paint those lower cabinets in the Old White.

So, what did I envision for below the sink? I will attempt to make a funky skirt that will go from the wall on the left to the dishwasher. From the livingroom you'll only get a peek at the fabric, but when standing at the sink, the fabric will jump out and say "bonjour Madame," and is certain to cheer me up--even on the dreariest days.


I took a ride to Joann Fabrics this morning and curated this group of raw materials. Hopefully, my hands will be able to fashion the funky, rose-festooned, ball-fringed skirt that my brain is imagining.

1 comment:

  1. Dang, now I really wish I could come see you next week and help make this flirty skirt. I lover projects like this and I adore the fabric! It will really pop with the red chairs! I'll be as far north as mamaroneck on 10/29 if you need a hand,

    ReplyDelete